[This document was prepared for homeschool.]
History is the record of human events since the beginning of writing.
According to the evidence found so far, the first writing took place about 3,200 BC in Mesopotamia.
Prehistory, or the prehistoric era, is the period of time before the beginning of writing.
Prehistoric humans learned to do many things:
- Fashion tools from stone, wood, bone, antler, ivory, and metal.
- Control fire.
- Speak a sophisticated language.
- Make clothing.
- Create and use spears, bows and arrows.
- Domesticate animals, including dogs, cattle and horses.
- Weave baskets.
- Turn clay into pottery and brick.
- Farm and irrigate.
- Build houses and other structures.
- Create and use boats.
- Make wheeled vehicles.